Monday 6 January 2014

“I’m Gonna Clean The Cobwebs Out The Corners Of My Mind”

I like spiders. I once spent half an hour watching one spin a web. Amazing. Try it yourself sometime, instead of watching the latest Hollyoaks episode. You won't regret it. 

I like spiders in the house. They kill flies. So that has got to be good. But my wife, and nearly life long love, hates spiders. And flies. And there you have it. The challenge of living with people and animals in a cobwebby nutshell.


But you know, first you’ve got to live with yourself. And there I am in a song talking about cleaning out the cobwebs in my mind when perhaps I should be preserving them. I mean, I’ve picked up lots of rubbish in this thing they call a brain along the way. But  I’ve probably picked up some totally mental spiders too. Maybe I should be cultivating them, rather than trashing their homes. Maybe those mental spiders could be eating some virus carrying six legs. Maybe they are. It’s worrying how easily I put words that could result in the demise of a cure into a song. I should be more careful about that.


On the other hand my wife would find solace in those words. And that is also good. She would be pleased that those cobwebs were disappearing, and it does me good to make her happy. And maybe there is more than one way to kill a fly. Although they too have a reason to live.


My life, in all of its messiness, is still one I am happy to be living. With all it’s spiders and flies, wife, offspring, and a very nice cobweb that I call home.

There was an old lady.



“I’m Gonna Clean The Cobwebs Out The Corners Of My Mind” is from the Fee song Last Song Standing - July 4th 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment