Tuesday 21 January 2014

"See The Lamp Light Shining Through The Curtain Gap"

I've been a good sleeper most of my life, but recently it's not been great. And I don't know why. The only explanation I can find is that I've been thinking. About family, songs, work to the house, songs, family, work to the house. The state of the world. Death. Songs. Family. The usual stuff.

But I've always thunk a lot, and the themes haven't changed that much. Maybe it's the male menopause. My body adjusting to the beginning of the beginning of the final act. Which, by the way, I intend to extend to the point where people are dragging the curtain down  and physically kicking me off the stage.

Sleep is important we are told. You can have too much of it, or too little. Go to bed at roughly the same time. Good patterns. I am trying to develop good patterns. Habits have become important to me, even though, by nature, I am in love with spontaneity. I'm trying to choose the habits I acquire now, rather than letting bad ones bully their way into my life and then stick around like scruffy squatters.

But those quiet times, awake in the night can be some of the best (when they're not some of the worst) for quietly letting the mind wander . To plan and hope and dream. And find solutions. In peace. Anything's possible. Maybe I struggle to get to sleep so that I can spend time imagining impossible, big dreams. Maybe my sub-conscious brain never got the hang of waking me at the right time in the middle of the right dreams to tell me whatever I wasn't listening to during the day. So it's thinking. Stuff this, I'm not gonna let the little beep drop off so easily anymore.

Anyway, no point in fighting head on with Mr Sleepless. You have to catch him unawa


"See the lamp light shining through the curtain gap" is from a recently written, but unrecorded song called Wounded Soldier.


Fee Comes Fourth



No comments:

Post a Comment