Saturday 18 January 2014

"We Could Stand At The Edge Of The World, We Could Do That..."

I've just returned from a rainy walk up Ben Gullion which is the hill overlooking Campbeltown. Don't go to the very top actually. Just to the bench. It's the top point of a series of paths that run along the northern face of the hill. And it has become a great place to start my mornings with one of my sons, Samuel, on four days each week.

It's usually been dark on the way up (though today we went later, and my wife Ineke  and 8 year old Aiden joined us) and we get to the bench in time to see Campbeltown waking up. I'm rubbish in the mornings, but by virtue of pushing ourselves up the steep climb, getting the lungs working hard, and feeling the smug satisfaction of achievement, the morning sickness has disappeared by the time we reach the bench. And as it gets lighter we can sit for a few minutes  and look out over Campbeltown Loch, Davaar Island and Arran to the east and to the west the Atlantic Ocean and the islands of Islay and the Paps of Jura in the distance.  And in between Campbeltown, my home and, it has to be said, the best wee toon in the whole goddamn Universe.

And I'm gonna say it. I'm a lucky bugger. And it's good to appreciate what I've got, because I've not always been able to do that. I hope I can appreciate this view from the edge of the world for a good while yet. If you're ever around, you are welcome to come and join me.


The line "We could stand at the edge of the world"  is from my song Angels For Today (June 4th 2013) and was chosen by Gary Carey, whose own album should be coming out soon (or I won't be held responsible for my actions!)


No comments:

Post a Comment