Saturday 15 March 2014

"Give Me A Sweet Cacophony"

I like the sound of words. Together. 

Sweet cacophony. Mmmm. I don't know who invented the word "Sweet" (someone invented it!) nor the word Cacophony. I wish I'd made that one. And I'm not even sure if the inventors would have liked their words to be joined together in holy matrimony. But fortunately they don't have a say in the matter. 

Nobody does. There is no courtroom that can rule against the usage of words or the order they can be put in. Well, there is libel I suppose. But that's not about the words themselves. It's the context and the timing and the audience that matter for those sort of judgements. 

Words are there to be played with like a box of lego whose pieces can be made to fit together in any way the imagination can conjure up. They are potential pieces of art. In fact they started off as actual art, the first art, as far as I understand. Pictures, used as symbols, that eventually got turned into letters. And by then the possibilities were endless.

They say that a picture can paint a thousand words. But if you put a thousand words together, you could have a hundred or more little paintings: 

She smelled like the ocean. 

The alarm clock rang it's hyena laughter, shaking awake the sleeping, dreamless vultures. 

February is a short month, packed full with romance and pancake making . 

The letters can be put together in any order too. But they are lifeless without words to contain them, and shape them, and send them on their way to heaven. 

I'm not always particularly careful, or artistic, or poetic, or imaginative with words. Which is a crime really. 

Words might well be our only limitless resource. I really don't want to fritter them away. 


The line "Give me sweet cacophony" is from the Fee Comes Fourth song Have Your Cake And Eat It - September 4th 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment