Sunday 9 March 2014

"We've Got Tonight, No More Tomorrow"

Some monk or other (and I realise I'm not  good at giving specific credit to the various sources I refer to) replied, on being asked what he would do if he was going to die tomorrow:

"I would still plant this apple tree".

Which was very forward thinking of him. Unless "he" was a nun. In which case it was very forward thinking of her. Anyway, I'm getting away from the point. Already.

And the point is that I suspect I'm still quite a long way from having that much perspective and wisdom in the presence of my imminent end. Or even if I was able to give the APPEARANCE of having such presence of mind I suspect I would be shaking inside at the same time.

Which I imagine is not abnormal.

But, you know, being honest about my totally understandable weakness in the face of death, isn't the same as saying I want to remain in subservience to that weakness.

I would like to be that monk. I would like to have a calmness and serenity when I approach the drop at that terminal Niagara Falls in my little coracle. I would like to enjoy finishing off my Sudoko puzzle as the water got a bit rougher, and noisier, and sprayier.

And that's why I talk about death quite a bit. Not because I'm morbid or obsessed. Particularly. It's simply that I like to practise the things that I want to get better at. So that maybe, one day, Fee can come third.


The line "We've got tonight, no more tomorrow"is from my unreleased song When The World Blows Up.


You will find most of my released songs at Fee Comes Fourth.






No comments:

Post a Comment