Friday 7 March 2014

"Though We've Never Met"

Or have we?

I'm sure I've met some of the good peeps who are reading these little outbursts of almost daily words.
But I haven't met all of you. And that makes me happy. Not happy that I haven't met you, but that we can have contact, exchange ideas, cause laughter, or tears, or frustration to people who we don't know.

I once got to know a fella, in fact I still know him, who was, and still is, from Australia. In fact he's definitely read some of my bloggings. We met on a forum a few years ago. And though there are limitations to the depth of friendships and relationships that can develop online, I got to know him well enough to suspect that he wasn't a full bloodied psychopath. So I was reasonably confident that should I invite him to stay with us when he was travelling in Europe, that  my family and children would be safe for the week or two he was here.

And so it proved. We had a good time getting to know him better and I was able to proudly show off Kintyre to him. And he liked the Standing Stones and was amazed at how wet the ground seemed to be everywhere. Did I mention he's from Australia?

We went camping one very cold night, it was in February, and I remember an Owl flying low over my bivvy bag thinking what a very big, blue shrew I was, and deciding not to pounce. And that I was very under prepared, not having camped very much, and therefore very cold for a lot of the night. He seemed to be a lot less restless than I was during the night. I've heard they breed 'em tough in Oz.

And it's odd what pops into mind when you're writing a blog.

I just never know what I'm going to be talking about till I write it.

Today it was Mikel. Hi Mikel.


The line "Though we've never met" is from my Fee Come's Fourth song Crossing The Wild Lands - January 4th 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment