Monday 17 March 2014

"This Whole World Just Seems To Pass You By"

There is one thought that almost always hits me right between the eyeballs whenever I visit new places. It is this:

A whole world has been carrying on, day after day, without my awareness. And that is happening all the time, everywhere, even in the places I do know. An almost eternal millennia of experiences, interactions, conversations, interruptions, imaginings, workdays, Sundays, holidays, good days, bad days. And I know nothing about them. I am dead to those worlds.

But when I do have that thought, it makes me curious. It makes my imagination spark up. It makes me hungry for more new places, and experiences, and interactions of my own. And this might look like a distracted discontent with the world I do know. I don't think it is that though. I think it's about the search for life, and the battle against stagnation. It's about sucking that marrow till it's bone dry.

It's one reason why I don't want to spend too much time dwelling on past moments. And I think the best storytelling whether it be in conversation or song, in poem, or novel,  painting or photograph, doesn't merely capture its subject. It attempts to release it. To make it new and inspiring and a catalyst to new experiences and new moments.

I have only ever written one limerick. It's a silly thing. But it reminds me of one moment in time on a Hebridean island with a friend from afar. It's a gentle, smile inducing memory. And it makes me want to live for more of those times. But differently. So...

There was a Doctor from Persia
Who discovered the cure for inertia
He visited Gigha, got some cows up the rear
And the weather it couldn't have been worser.


The line "This whole world just seems to pass you by" is from my song Hey Jean which was almost, but not quite, released on my album A Human Being. But it will have it's day.

                                             Gigha


                                              A Cow


A Doctor From Persia (Clue: not me)





No comments:

Post a Comment