Wednesday 12 February 2014

"It's Time To Make Your Great Escape" Part 2

Well, sequels are usually rubbish. But let's try anyway.

If you were reading yesterday I was talking about the fact that I've been, I mean become, committed. Oh yes. Strait Jackets and everything.

Committing to something involves passing the point of no return. If it turns out rubbish then...well, then it's too late. You've said it. You've done it. Fail!

Except I don't see it like that..

I write things, or say things that contain opinions about life, the universe and everything. And quite often I find that I change my mind. I'm sure I'm the only person in the whole of the universe that has experienced that phenomenon! But, I change my mind a lot.  I'm on a tentative search for Truth. And playing with words...in songs, in conversations, in blogs...is possible the biggest part of my own Truth Voyage kitbag. So I find that I say things which seem like a good stab at something that is true, and then, on reflection, decide that, in fact it was not so.

If you're still with me you may know that an important part of the Scientific Method (as I understand it, and I am no Scientist) is to RULE STUFF OUT. Ruling stuff out is an important part of getting to find out what stuff is in.

As I said, I'm not a Scientist. But I try to be a scientist. We can all be scientists. Little children are the best at it. Asking questions, questions that sound daft to us, and then readjusting their world view based on the answers they come up with. (I would like to have introduced a little child/parent conversational anecdote at this point. I've heard a million examples. But I never write anything useful down like a good reporter would and I can only remember "happenings" for a maximum of 24 hours. And that's pushing it.)

So I write songs, and I talk, and bloggity blog, to ask questions of life. Lost in my own Little Scientist Groundhog Day. To discover, to thrive, or simply to survive. And sometimes I wish I could use some of the tactics that other people use. Because the grass is always greener on the other fella's patch. Or simply not bother at all and live in joyful anticipation of the next episode of Holly Oaks. Why not? I'm not here to judge other peoples life journeys.

But there is, for me, no escape from this path. And it is a path. We've all got a path.

And now I'm off to meditate on a piece of string. It's just an experiment.



The line "It's time to make your great escape" is still from  my nameless, unreleased song.








1 comment:

  1. With you Bro. Truth surely is a big ol thing.....takes more than one way of looking at it or talking about it to actually even hint at it....and never accurately. Anyone who never changed their mind about what is true is an idiot. Anyone who never noticed they were wrong...is probably terribly wrong about some very important things.... some seek truth on highways shared with millions of others....some seek truth on foot, where there are no paths and only a dodgy compass.....mistakes are probably evidence of actual LOOKING and actual honesty....

    ReplyDelete