Sunday 9 February 2014

"She Smiles And He Knows"

It's nice being able to communicate in  unspoken gestures. I often can't help talking even if I don't want to. A work colleague once told me that she knew when I was about to disagree with something because my right eyebrow would go up. So my face speaks. In fact it takes a lot of effort for me to do deadpan..

Words, as limited as they are, are our best way of being certain that we have accurately passed on a message. I doubt people would feel so relaxed on an aeroplane if they knew that the Air Traffic Controller  was passing on important flight information using body language. The body language is good for the big picture. A general idea about how people are feeling. Not for saying "Move to 25000 metres because you are currently in the flight path of a KLM 747 on route to Schipol".

I flew down to Bristol on Saturday to surprise a friend who was performing at a gig to officially release his album. I'm having a great time catching up with song writing friends. But before the flight took off I was already quite confident I was going to have a safe trip and a good time because the air hostesses were smiling when we boarded the plane.

Other information I have picked up during this trip without the use of words. Easyjet is better than Ryanair. Ukeleles are stronger than they look. And rain is wet everywhere.



The line "She smiles and he knows" comes from a co-written song called Dancing In Rio which my co-writers (Tina Pluchino and Rob Harris) are planning to get released soon, in time for the World Cup in Brazil. Or if we miss that deadline, the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment