Friday 28 February 2014

"Watch The Sunrise Kiss The Ocean Breeze"

Machrihanish on a crisp, clear day in winter is quite spectacular. The waves rolling in off the Atlantic and the feeling of space and wildness. And that's just sitting, supping a pint of Guinness, in the Beachcomber Bar (well that's what it used to be called) looking out over the first tee of Machrihanish Golf Club. A first hole which is allegedly in the top 18 holes worldwide of the legendary golfer Jack Nicholas. Not that I play golf, but it's always useful to know a good place for tee.

I was waiting while one of The Boys had an interview at the fairly recently opened, upmarket, Ugadale Hotel. He's been offered the job, which is good as he is pretty desperate to earn some money and get back to Peru at some point this year, where his girlfriend is waiting patiently. I'm sure Peru is lovely, and I'm sure I'd be eager to go back if there was a special person wanting me to, but really, on days like this, I don't know why anyone would want to live anywhere other than here in Kintyre.

Blues skies have a wonderful habit of whisking away the rainy day memories. I think that's pretty hardcore science. We are wired for  dealing primarily for today and the future. Even  the most miserable, depressive, whiny, individual (don't all point at me now) manages to forget more than they remember about past negative experiences. It's a matter of survival.

Nostaligia...thinking affectionately, and longingly about the past...is associated with old age. I would say it is useful to reflect on times past at any age, but I don't really want to spend too much time doing it right now. There is still a Life to be Sumo-Wrestled to the ground, ransacked of all it's available LifeNess, and then discarded like a sweaty Sumo loin cloth.

Hmm. I seem to have wandered a little bit from sunrises kissing ocean breezes. Better stop before I give anybody nightmares. Have a great weekend. Even those of you who have  got to go to work.


The line "Watch the sunrise kiss the ocean breeze" is from my Fee Comes Fourth song Table Mountain - March 4th 2013.




No comments:

Post a Comment