Tuesday 11 February 2014

"It's Time To Make Your Great Escape"

But there is no escaping from a commitment that you've signed. In blood. With yourself.

Basically I've tied myself up for a lifetime. No way out. First it was the songs on the fourth of every month. As you know I'm going to be doing that forever. Could I stop? Well, I could, but I can't. Not anymore. It's what I do. I know, you never know what the future holds, but come hell or high water (always wanted to use that phrase) I'm going to be bustin' a gut (and that one) to get a song out. Actually, most of the time it's fun, because it's what I love doing.

And the same with the wordy writey  bloggy thing. This. The plan is to do it daily. But I've just been away and missed a couple. I've got to find a way to organise that properly, and  I think I'll be a little bit merciful on myself with the "every single day" part. But still. I want to keep doing it.

All of this commitment to output raises a serious issue though. Quality control.

I find with the blog that there have been times when I've just had to Put It Out There without the proper time to edit. Same with the songs. I can do this stuff, but is the quality of the stuff going to remain at a standard that  I am happy with? And that my ENORMOUS reader/listenership is happy with. I really don't want to be talking to myself. I will do it, but I don't want to.

Time will tell I suppose. I'm of the opinion that doing a task over and over is one of the best ways of getting better at it. Certainly on the craft and technique side of the equation. Inspiration is a whole other beast. But waiting for inspiration to strike is, in my experience, a pretty certain route to stuck-in-the-mud immobility.

So, I'm going to go with this principle: get the boat moving and worry about the steering later.

And the boat is moving. No escape. Oh shit.



"It's time to make your great escape" is from an unreleased song of mine that hasn't got an obvious name even though it's been around for a number of years. Think I'll just have to record it, and see whether the right title emerges.

Fee Comes Fourth




No comments:

Post a Comment